The biggest misconception about video games is they make an impact on our mental health. But the reality is just the opposite of this! Online gaming helps to develop complex problems as well as strengthen decision-making skills. Through online gaming, you can improve social interaction. This is a way to improve your mental health. Here in this article, we are going to share the benefits of online gaming.
Benefits of online gaming & its effects
- Mental stimulation: Online games improve your ability to think. When you start playing games, then almost every part of your brain works, and it helps you to achieve higher-level thinking. Your brain works effectively depending upon the complexity of the games. According to that, you make strategies by analyzing quickly. So, overall it develops critical thinking & improves development.
- Improve well-being: In games, you have to achieve goals to win, and once you are done with this, you feel accomplished that brings lots of satisfaction. It improves your overall well-being. When you win any game, then you earn so many rewards in terms of cash prizes, trophies, and badges. So, each time you are trying to perform better, that improves confidence and willpower.
- Mental health: By playing online games, you can recover from trauma. It makes you distracted from the pain and psychological trauma. This is a good way to improve mental health for people suffering from depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Social interaction: Virtual games play a huge role in improving social interaction. In this cutthroat competition of online gaming, you will meet with both types of people. So, you need to learn whom you can trust and whom to leave behind. Similarly, by playing multiplayer games, you can learn cooperation and teamwork. In this way, you can foster a relationship with new people.
- Emotional resilience: When you fail in a game, then you might be frustrated, but you still try one more time to win it. In this way, virtual games help people to learn how to cope with failures. It tells us never to lose our hope and keep trying until we grab it.
- Boost up your mood: By playing video games, you can improve your decision-making skills and boost your mood. This is a great way to release stress and boost energy too.
Which type of game should you choose?
As you know, there are millions of games available on the internet, and as a gamer, you want to try every single game. But not every game leaves a good benefit to your health. Especially if you are a teenager or a kid, then you should be more focused while choosing your games.
- Avoid violent games: You should avoid games that have violence. It can affect your mind badly. There is another kind of adult game that you should avoid to keep yourself positive.
- Choose strategic games: When it comes to the game, then you should choose role-playing and other strategic games. It helps to strengthen your problem-solving skills. In these games, you have a chance to show your skills and ability that grow your brain.
- Set limits: Video games are not bad until you become addicted to them. Spending too much time on a game can lead to isolation. It can cut your interaction with real-life people. So, if you are playing a lot of games and isolate yourself in that zone, then it’s an alarming bell for you. So, you can set a limit to playing video games, and if you can’t, then you can talk with the mental health professional.
Is this an alarming bell for you?
Playing online games is helpful for your mind until you set a limit. Once you get addicted to this and cross the limit, then it can become an alarming situation for you. Playing games more than 10 hours a week is considered excessive playing. As a teenager, you have to focus on your studies and career too.
If you have felt anxious, can’t be able to sleep, and want to isolate yourself the whole day long with games, then yes, you are addicted to this. In this process, you might escape from your real life, and your behaviors might change. So, too much gaming can change your mood. When you play gaming in a limited way, then it gives you relaxation & stress-free. But when it goes out of control, then it becomes dangerous too.
No matter whether gaming is your profession or you are a beginner in this, you should make a limit to prioritize the other things. It is always necessary to set a balance in your professional and personal career.
If the Benefits of online gaming comes over your life and it keeps you away from your family and friends, then you should start working on it. Well, if you are facing this, then you are not alone because there are many people like you who go through this. You can follow the below discussed things and get back to your healthy routine.
What to do if you are addicted to gaming?
If you feel that the Benefits of online gaming is starting to affect your life, then here are some tips for recovering:
- Talk with someone you love and are attached to. Share your feelings and try to spend time in your happy zone. This is the first step to feel better.
- Decide the time on which you want to play the game. Set your time and if possible, set an alarm that will remind you to stop. Ask someone to help you with this and encourage you.
- You can also pen down the things that you are feeling. You can also start doing things that make you distract and help you to focus on the other things.
- If you feel a low mood, anxiety, and other physical & mental weakness, then you can visit your doctor.
Gaming could help you to become a better person, but when it goes over to you, then it can make a person that you won’t be. So, if you want to make gaming a professional career, then you should start learning how to balance things and be healthy.